Doom Eternal 6.66 Update Now, Horde Mode, Battlemode 2.0, and Detailed Rewards
Bethesda and id Software teased it last week, and now they’ve officially ditched Doom Eternal update 6.66. This update adds the new Horde mode and ultra-hard master levels, significantly expands and changes the combat mode, offers a whole bunch of new rewards to earn, and more. Best of all, it’s all free. You can check out a new action-packed trailer for Doom Eternal’s Horde mode, below.
Here’s a look at all of the new content included in Doom Eternal ver. 6.66 …
Compete for the highest score as you battle wave after wave of demons in three DOOM Eternal and The Ancient Gods – Parts One and Two * missions in this challenging new single-player game mode. You will need to keep your mind sharp on yourself and your skills. Like in a classic arcade game, there are no checkpoints, you start with just 3 extra lives – but there is more to be gained as you progress. You start out with just a perfectly mastered Combat Rifle, unlocking a random new weapon as you complete each arena round. Earn new milestones and unlock loads of cool new customization items as you progress!
Each Horde mode mission consists of the following rounds (pictured above):
- Arena Round – Arena battle with waves and waves of demons
- Blitz Round – Kill as many demons as possible before the time runs out
- Bonus Coin Round (optional) – Collect as many coins as possible before time runs out
- Traversal Round – Navigate a crossing puzzle and collect as many coins as possible before time runs out
- Blitz Round Bonus (optional) – A Blitz round but with Super Heavy demons and Onslaught power-ups (damage multiplier)!
Your score is counted at the end of each round. You receive extra points for all extra lives and remaining BFG ammo
- Each demon you kill that is not a Zombie, Spirit, or Archvile Summoned gives you points
- Bigger demons are worth more points than smaller ones
- Bounty demons are worth more than standard demons but decrease in value over time
- Earn more points by completing mission challenges (completing them all rewards bonus points)
- Collect coins in Traversal and Bonus Coin Rounds reward points (Gold> Silver> Bronze)
You start Horde mode with:
- 3 extra lives
- A perfectly mastered combat rifle
- The chainsaw, all the equipment and the dashboard
- All upgrades, runes and sentinel crystals
- Another fully mastered weapon is randomly assigned at the end of each arena round
- Special weapons are given at the start of certain arena rounds
- Completing milestones unlocks new customization items
- Extra extra lives are awarded by completing Blitz Rounds, Bonus Coin Rounds, Bonus Blitz Rounds, Battle Arena Rounds 1 and 2 in The Holt, and killing the required number of demons in Blitz and Blitz Rounds. bonus. They can also be acquired in level during any crossing turn.
Rather than just listing them, id Software chose to create little collages of all the rewards you can earn in Horde mode, which you can check out in the following gallery.
New master levels
Update 6.66 includes two new master levels, Mars Core and The World Spear. Complete the corresponding campaign level to unlock each one. Access your unlocked Master Levels from DOOM Fortress or the Mission Select menu
Battle Mode 2.0
Update 6.66 brings the biggest and most important game mode update yet. Now, more than ever, skills matter in Battlemode. The more you win, the better the players you will face. Complete Battlemode 2.0 series challenges to increase your rank, unlock new rewards, and achieve a higher position in the leaderboard
New playable content BALLTEMODE 2.0
The Dread Knight is well suited for Demon players who have an all-or-nothing style of play. With double jump and a range of attacks, the Dread Knight is an agile demon with powerful offensive abilities, but the attacks require cooldowns which can expose you between uses.
Main attack: Energy surge
- The Energy Wave is a Destroyer Blade style energy projectile that deals moderate damage with a moderate rate of fire
- Activating Berserk temporarily replaces Energy Wave with a high damage melee attack with a strong swerve
- While in use, Berserk increases movement speed and reduces damage taken by up to 60%
- Each use of Berserk requires a long cooling period
Blow to the ground
- Ground Slam is an AOE attack that allows the Dread Knight to jump to a selected location within the allowed range to deal explosive damage to the area on impact
- Each use of Ground Slam requires a payback period
- Quantum Orb is a moderate damage projectile attack that the Dread Knight can redirect while flying by activating his teleportation ability
- Each use of the Quantum Orb requires a cooldown, which is shorter if the teleport ability is not activated
New arena: Bastion
Battlemode: Stronghold’s new arena is at the center of Hell. Acting as both a defensive position and a processing facility that helps power the Dark Lord’s war machine, the environment lends itself to players who can continue to move between the different arena layers. Demonic and Slayer players will fight for the valuable cover provided by the Fuel Overflow Zone. Players who are proficient at traversing between lower and upper platforms will excel in our most competitive BATTLEMODE map yet
Hot Streaks are the key to the more competitive design of BATTLEMODE 2.0. The Streak Tracker at the top of the player map tracks wins and losses played in public matches, activating after the first victory as a Slayer or Demon. When the Streak Tracker is active, additional wins are tracked as ticks and losses as Xs
- A Hot Streak card is awarded when a player wins four matches before losing two
- Streak Tracker resets after losing two matches before a Hot Streak card is awarded
- The number of Hot Streak cards you have determines your rank and your position in the leaderboard
- Playing as a slayer and as a demon each has their own respective sequence tracker
- Leaving a public match prematurely will count as a loss
- The Streak Tracker does not record the wins and losses of private matches
- The rewards on the series page and the conditions to unlock them are different for Slayers and Demons
Hot Series Cards
When a player completes a hot streak, they are assigned a hot streak card (these determine your position in the leaderboard). If you have a hot streak while playing as a Demon, you will get a Demon card. If you completed it as a Slayer, you will get a Slayer card
With the release of Update 6.66, all Public Lounges are using Streak-based matchmaking. Streak-based matchmaking aims to pit you against other players with the same number of streak wins, expanding the match criteria over time if they aren’t met. Players can join public lobbies as Slayer, Solo Demon, or Team Demons
BATTLEMODE 2.0 adds Slayer and Demon based rankings for each supported platform. The ranking position is determined by the rank reached and the number of hot streaks completed in the current series. The rankings are reset at each change of series.
The new Battlemode will also have new cosmetics, which you can check out below.
Of course, Doom Eternal ver. 6.66 also includes the usual long list of bugfixes and balance adjustments – if you need to know them you can check out the Full and unabridged patch notes here.
Doom Eternal is out now on PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X / S, PS4, PS5, Switch, and Stadia. Version 6.66 is available for download now on all platforms except Switch, where it will arrive “as soon as it is ready”.