Police and Cricket Australia investigate 1980s sexual assault allegations | Cricket Australia

0

A former Australian under-19 cricketer who claims he was sexually assaulted during a representative tour in the 1980s has revealed the “trauma and distress” he has felt for decades.

Jamie Mitchell went public with the allegations in an ABC report on Sunday, saying he believed he was raped by a team official while touring India and Sri Lanka when he was 18.

Mitchell’s talks with Sports Integrity Australia sparked an Australian Federal Police investigation late last year and Cricket Australia is cooperating. No charges have been laid and the cricket official linked to the allegations denies any wrongdoing.

In a statement, Mitchell said he was relieved the 1985 tour was under investigation.

“Instead of being a highlight of my cricket life, this tour has caused me trauma and distress for many years,” he said. “Cricket Australia has a chance to distinguish themselves by facing this problem and doing the right thing.”

Mitchell will send a list of questions to the governing body surrounding the tour, including what authorities knew about the team official when he led the tour, if any complaints were made about him and whether or not he was sacked when he left cricket shortly thereafter. the alleged incident.

He also asks if CA can produce medical records from the tour, including what was injected into him by a team doctor on two occasions.

“I am focused on getting answers and the well-being of the players… I expect Cricket Australia to take this very seriously,” he said.

CA told News Corp in a statement that the organization was aware of a police investigation into allegations of alleged historical violations that arose during an overseas tour decades ago.

“Cricket Australia is in contact with the alleged victim and is fully cooperating with the police investigation. Because the case is under investigation by the police, we are not allowed to comment further, ”the statement said.

“Cricket Australia does not tolerate any form of abuse and is committed to ensuring a safe environment for all staff, participants and their families in all their interactions with the game.”

An AFP spokesperson said the organization was not commenting on specific investigations.

Rightside Legal partner Michael Magazanik, whose firm advises Mitchell, said CA should provide a full answer to his questions before they decide on further legal proceedings.

“This tour was in 1985, and it’s not ancient history … it’s in everyone’s best interest that the information be provided quickly,” he said.


Source link

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.